Wednesday 28 October 2015

The daughter of an Iranian political prisoner warns of a looming Threat to her father

Hejrat Moezi and her father, political prisoner, Ali Moezi
Hejrat Moezi and her father, political prisoner, Ali Moezi

'My father is a political prisoner facing an imminent threat to his life in prison in Iran'

 Describing a person’s life is never easy, especially when that person is someone you cherish. Ali Moezi is my father, he is a political prisoner in Iran, and I fear losing him with each passing second, Hijrat Moezi wrote as it published in World Post
Before I was even born, my father experienced the mullah’s prisons. In 1980, when the theocratic dictatorship took control of Iran, my father was arrested and tortured. He had been among those who stood in opposition to their tyrannical rule, and paid the price with several years of torture in the regime’s prisons.
My father was educated at the University of Karaj in agricultural engineering, and could have worked towards building up his homeland; Instead, he has spent years, off and on, behind bars. The theocracy has made it such that everyone finds himself leading a life unsuitable to their vocation: our scholars rest imprisoned while thieves and criminals are in government.
I recall asking him, when I was a child,What happened to your knee?’ to which he responded, 'it was hit by a bullet.' Only when I was older did I learn that he participated in peaceful demonstrations in Tehran in June1981and during his escape, he was shot and then subjected to hours of painstaking torture.At the time, my father would have been the same age I am now, 26The whip marks left by his torturers can still be seen on the soles of his feet and his back.
Throughout my childhood, the thought of my parents’ arrest was my greatest nightmare. But one day, I myself decided to stand up against this government. I moved to Camp Ashraf and left my country for Iraq, where thousands of refugees and Iranian dissidents lived in a place that was our only hope for freedom. I remember, on my last day in Iran, looking into my father’s eyes and asking if I’d ever see him again...

No comments:

Post a Comment